Our Purpose & Vision
At Hibiscus Initiatives, our purpose is to support marginalized, migrant women, who have been trapped in the immigration and criminal justice systems, to rebuild their lives. Our vision is to build a fair and just society where inequalities in the criminal justice and immigration systems are eliminated.
How We Work
Drawing on our 38-year history, Hibiscus has an unrivalled record of delivering high-impact support and advocacy services to migrant women. We work with marginalised, migrant women to amplify their own voices, so that their experiences are recognised by those making policy decisions. Our holistic and trauma informed approach makes a real and lasting impact on women’s lives.
At Hibiscus, we adopt the values of integrity, respect, inclusivity, and learning and innovation. We are committed to being an impactful organisation that protects the wellbeing and supports the development of our staff.
Hibiscus adopts anti-racist, anti-oppression and feminist principles, and we believe in the importance of nurturing a diverse team who can embody these principles.
About the Role
We are now recruiting for an experienced HR and Operations Manager to help us to achieve our vision.
In this role, you will support the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in the efficient and effective day to day running of the charity, including leading on human resources processes; learning and development; health and safety; compliance; IT management; office management; and administrative systems.
Please Note: This post is restricted to women only as a genuine occupational requirement under Schedule 9 paragraph 1, Equality Act 2010
Managers’ Salary Band
£33 000 – £37 000*
*starting salary negotiable up to the mid-point of the band, depending on experience. Opportunity for progression on an annual basis.
- 36 days of annual leave per year (inclusive of bank holidays and 3 shutdown days between Christmas and New year)
- Generous annual budget for learning and development
- A spectrum of wellbeing benefits, including a quarterly wellbeing voucher, a quarterly team wellbeing activity, a weekly wellbeing hour and skills-based workshops.
- Additional support through monthly clinical supervision sessions and an employee assistance programme
- Life assurance and critical illness cover for the duration of your employment
- Organisational loan scheme
- Enhanced employer pension contribution
- Enhanced family leave and pay* (*subject to eligibility)
Full-time (35 hours per week) Part-time will be considered and we are open to flexible working arrangements.
Hibiscus Head Office address in London 2-3 days per week (we are a pro-hybrid working organisation)
Director of Operations
As an HR and Operations generalist, you will have:
- A strong understanding of HR principles and experience of working in a HR role previously;
- Demonstrable experience in overseeing daily office operations, including managing our service contracts to ensure standards are met, and liaising with contractors and external service providers;
- Creative problem solving, with an ability to respond to complex and changing situations by bringing new thinking and solutions
- Ability to facilitate difficult conversations; and build collaborative relationships among managers, partners, and staff;
- A broad understanding of legal compliance, data protection, safeguarding, incident and risk management;
- Prior line management experience;
- High levels of confidentiality, able to act with discretion, sensitivity and diplomacy;
- A proactive approach to working, able to take own initiative and manage competing priorities; and
- A commitment to the vision and values of Hibiscus.
Ideally you will also have
- A level 5 CIPD or similar qualification or have equivalent experience
- Experience of organising and delivering training in an agile workforce;
- Experience of supporting managers using the business partner model;
- Prior experience working in the non-profit sector and/or with marginalised communities.
We are particularly keen to attract talent from Black and minoritised communities and those with lived experience of the immigration and criminal justice systems, and/or gender-based violence.
Please download the Job Description below and carefully read through the information provided regarding the role and person specification:
- An up-to-date CV (no more than 2 pages)
- A cover letter addressing relevant parts of the Person Specification in the Job Description outlining why you are the right person for the role (no more than 1 page)
08 March 2024
Please note that we may close vacancies early if suitable candidates are found and/or a sufficient number of candidates have applied. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
If we receive applications from more suitable candidates than we have vacancies for at this time, we may hold suitable applicants on a reserve list for 12 months, and future vacancies requiring the same skills and experience could be offered to candidates on the reserve list without a new competition.
If you do not want Hibiscus to retain your CV on file, please state so in your email when you send your CV and Cover Letter.